PUSH: Technology/Application Matrix
What's this for?
This tool is applicable for:
- ‘Technology push’ or ‘Knowledge push’ cases, where you have an early platform technology or a knowledge base that you want to commercialise, but need to identify and evaluate the most promising application in the market.
- Also useful if you already have a fairly developed technical product, but you haven't proven which group of users or market sector would readily adopt it. You may also be looking to create a new market space for an established technology.
If instead you are:
- starting from a specific problem you want to solve with a new product, and need to compare different ideas for solving it
then this exercise is not applicable and you should go to the Idea Generation & Evaluation exercise to evaluate your options instead.
READ: Chapters 1 and 3 of The Smart Entrepreneur.
• To identify and compare alternative applications for a new platform technology (e.g. a new molecule, a new material, a new algorithm), where you have not yet chosen clear applications/products/services to develop.
• To identify applications and industry areas which have not been considered before.
1. Click the link to access the Learning Manual: IE&D Technology Application Matrix, and follow the exercise described there.
2. Record your findings so that you can explain the application you've chosen to develop and why.
NOTE: you might consult this matrix again if your Entrepreneurial Market Research reveals that the appliction you've chosen doesn't have as much market traction as you hoped.
If you need to print out a copy of the learning manual(s) for offline use, please follow these steps:
- Click the "Create PDF" button at the top right hand corner of the page.
- Scroll to the "Attachment" section (at the end of the last page).
- Click on the paperclip icon next to the manual.